Thursday, January 24, 2013

Sweet Potato Oatmeal

Ever heard of the total elimination diet?  Well, my doctor put me on that because I was having an allergic reaction to something.  It basically eliminates everything.  There is no red meat, shell fish or warm water fish, no sugar, no gluten, no dairy, no eggs, no peanuts, no caffeine, no alcohol, no citrus or strawberries.  It's is a super healthy, very lean diet.  At first it was super hard and I could not figure out what to eat and I was always hungry.  :-P But I'm almost through my third week of it, and I've slowly come up with different ideas of things to eat.  My biggest struggle was sweet stuff.  I used to put honey on my oatmeal in the morning but I can't have honey anymore.   So I tried to think of things that were sweet to put on my oatmeal... sweet potatoes!  So I found this recipe on this really cool blog called Noms For The Poor.  It turned out pretty good for having no sweetener what so ever.  I think I'm going to do it a little bit differently next time because my sweet potatoes didn't cook all the way and my oatmeal had a consistency that was very slimy.  Here is my version of the recipe, and you can get the original recipe from this page on Noms For The Poor... Sweet Potato Oatmeal.  


Recipe:
1/3 Cup Rolled Oats
1/4 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1 1/3 Cup Coconut Milk (Any kind of milk will do)
1 Cup Shredded Sweet Potato
1 Mashed Banana
Coconut Flakes

In medium sauce pan combine milk, spices, and sweet potato.  Cook until the sweet potato is no longer crunchy.  Then add the Mashed banana and oatmeal and cook until you have your desired consistency.  Serve and sprinkle with coconut flakes.  You can add a little coconut milk to the top too.  :-)



Yummm!


1 comment:

  1. What a great idea you had! And, I'd never thought of grating sweet potatoes. It was good and I definitely want to try it again. You've got me thinking....Hmmmm? I wonder what else could be made with grated sweet potatoes?! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!